Friday, July 26, 2013

My Summer Experience




      I finished my Turner Fellowship last Friday, and could not have been more pleased with the way my summer turned out.  I will admit that I was a little unsure when I heard I had been placed with PTM in April.  Personally, I did not think I was fit to teach younger kids math, science, and reading; however, I quickly learned that the work I would be doing at PTM was much more than that. I remember being nervous about my first day at Summer Salt because I was afraid the kids would not be as quickly accepting of me as the ones I had previously met since I would be someone new to them—missed the first week of programming due to a mission trip to Honduras.  I was dead wrong, and by the end of the day felt dumb for having those fears.   Yes, I do have to teach math, science, and reading, but if you can find a way to make it fun and seem less like school than it is, then the kids enjoy it.
     PTM has exposed me to a whole new world.  It has been eye opening to drive through the neighborhood and to even watch the way some of the kids interact with each other.  I love playing games with the kids, in particular capture the flag, and simply just hanging out with them. Some of the kids I play morning games with, whose names I cannot even remember will often times come and say hi to me.  I know that I have made a difference at PTM when kids I played quarterback for one morning are filled with joy upon seeing me if only for one minute each day. I have formed memorable relationships with both the kids and the staff, and because of this I hope to find time to come to after school programming and form new relationships.
     I have taken field trips to Cumberland Park, a dairy farm, a recycling center, and the law offices of Waller Lansden to name a few.  I have hiked in Edwin Warner Park.  I have watched Like Mike and ate ten bags of popcorn between the ten of us.  I have participated in a slip n’ slide and a water balloon fight in the pouring rain—my favorite day.  It is easy to say that I had a great summer.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew,
    The other pictures you have posted great but for reason these two would not show up on my computer. I love how in your previous post you talked about "feeling like a kid again" watching the movie. I consider that one of the blessings of working with young people ......it invites us to stay young at heart! I am interested to hear about some of the techniques you used to help make tutoring engaging for your students. Congratulations on keeping your heart and mind open as you were entering this experience and for making the most of it. I know you were an awesome intern who obviously impacted kids. Thanks for your great work! Continue to let your light shine!

    ReplyDelete